Carolina is the founder and principal miningHRpro. She is a Certified Human Resources Professional with Senior Management Experience who has worked as an HR professional in the mining, energy and financial sectors in Canada, the U.S., Mexico and South America.
From my first day at the faculty of Psychology in Bogotá, Colombia, I knew my future was in Human Resources. I had a strong, and perhaps rather strange, desire to help both people and companies reach their goals.
15+ years of professional experience in Canada, the USA, Mexico, and Colombia prepared her for what she now does. Carolina completely understands the needs of a company and transforms those needs into outcome-oriented HR strategies and solutions.
As an HR Professional, she has thrived in restructuring environments and implementing new initiatives in many areas, including:
- Workforce Planning
- Talent Acquisition and Development
- Performance Management
- Total Rewards
- Succession Planning
- Employee and Labour Relations in the knowledge based, labor intensive world of mining
Colleagues and clients refer to her as highly skilled in communicating and mentoring. They say Carolina is the type of person who can influence without authority and communicate a common vision, even in culturally and geographically diverse teams.
A former boss once said “she has a ‘sixth sense’ because she is able to access the workplace, understand people’s behaviors and know what is likely to happen…with that, we are be able to take proactive actions to prevent loss and move toward our goals”.
Below you’ll find some more information on her past experience, expertise, and skillsets.
Key Areas of Expertise:
Strategic HR Planning & Execution:
- Realigned HR structures to better serve the business goals.
- Designed Talent Management Processes for succession planning and career development.
- Developed and implemented HR policy, processes, and systems.
- HRIS super-user experience. Partnered with an engineer to develop/test the system at every stage for recruitment, benefit plans and timekeeping payroll systems.
- Acting as Project Lead for online performance management system.
- Led the systematization of the performance management process for annual employee performance and merit reviews.
Community Building Roles:
- Led HR operations in Canada, Mexico and the USA, implemented innovative hiring campaign.
- At Northern Vertex, she worked on the highly sensitive task of building a trusting and collaborative relationship with the Human Resources Department of the Fort Mojave Native Tribe in Arizona. As a result, the company was invited to organize a recruitment fair on the native reserve and began hiring tribal members within 2 months of the beginning of its operations.
- At Great Panther Silver, she developed, implemented, and managed the transition of 30 consultants to employees, working closely with legal and finance experts to ensure compliance with local employment laws. She was also part of the team that led critical onsite meetings with the GM and contractors to minimize the impact of transition.
- In her spare time, she mentors new immigrants with HR backgrounds through Mosaic, Immigration Services Society of BC and the Immigrant Employment Council of BC. This let her pass down knowledge and help new immigrants build successful careers in Canada.
Business Partner Role
- Designed and managed full recruitment cycle.
- Identified staffing needs and worked with hiring managers on recruitment plans.
- Coached and supported managers addressing employee performance issues such as coaching and disciplinary investigations.
- Proactively worked with finance departments to improve data integrity and reporting personnel cost, control, and overtime.
Owner of Canadian and Expats Benefits
- Designed, implemented, and managed plans and renewals, worked closely with benefits consultants and insurance providers for the Canadian corporate offices and their subsidiaries in the USA, and Mexico.
- Addressed escalated issues and disability cases.
In-house Immigration Specialist
- Implemented the expats immigration policy and global relocation policy.
- Advised employees on Work Permits renewals and applications.